The program will help you to understand the challenges of measuring risk and integrating those measurements into the firms’ strategy and operations. Standard thinking is challenged by providing key frameworks, tools and techniques that help to identify and manage key risks in interconnected and changing systems. Please note that the program does not have a technical approach. Instead, the focus will be on the strategic perspectives of risk management, primarily within the finance and insurance industries. From a practical point of view, you will learn how to successfully implement risk management plans and prioritize inputs and strategic outcomes that minimize the impact of knowns and unknowns.
- In a corporate setting, what is risk and what is the most fruitful way of thinking about it? How should risk be measured?
- How are risks prioritized?
- Which risks should be eliminated, moderated, hedged and mitigated?
- When is risk a top management responsibility and when can it be delegated? How is the risk management function best organized?
- How is risk measurement and management integrated into operations?
- How is risk used to improve and inform operations?
- How should the interplay with regulation impact risk management?
- How can the same risk system be used effectively for two separate purposes – risk control and business development?
The program is primarily case based and involves the active participation of attendees in scenario planning and simulation exercises. The cases, lectures and discussions will be led by professors from the Stockholm School of Economics and WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management, as well as by senior executives from the finance industry.
Board members, chief risk officers, chief financial officers, chief operating officers, risk managers, banking executives, insurance professionals, auditors, financial analysts, regulators and non-financial sector industry executives with significant roles in operational risk management.
The program is based on a collaboration between SSE – Stockholm School of Economics and WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management (WHU).
The program is planned to take place during 2018. If you are interested, please contact Viktoria Norell at Viktoria.Norell@exedsse.se.
More about our programs in Finance.
Risk Management for Executives – Participant experiences
In this podcast dialogue (in Swedish), Annelie Casselvik, Risk Manager at Skandia and Erik Saers, working with asset management, start-ups and various board of directors assignments (and previously Deputy Director General at Finansinspektionen), shares their experiences and learnings from the program 2016 with Johan Nordlund, Specialized Client Director at SSE Executive Education.
COO, Crescit Asset Management AB
”The programme was a real energy booster and gave me and other participants new perspectives on risk”
CFO, Göteborgs Energi
”The combination of lectures and cases as such was really good and the wide range of nationalities, experiences and backgrounds in the group was perfect.”